Your eyebrows might be naturally thin, but you can use eyebrow powder to transform them into thick and trendy brows that you see Instagram beauty aficionados flaunting. Yes! thicker eyebrows are in fashion and versions of it feature in the top brow trends each year.
So, whether you like the thicker “almost” unibrow that Timothée Chalamet has made popular or the lush brows that Cara Delevingne sports on magazine covers, you can use brow powder to get similar versions.
Using eyebrow powder for sparse brows is something that has been done for decades. Currently brow powder formulas are improving every year, so you can easily get a shade that suits your hair color and create eyebrows with a natural tint. We look at how using brow powder for sparse eyebrows gives them a striking finish, and makes them look fuller.
Why do people end up with sparse eyebrows?
Some people are born with sparse eyebrows and normally they just shape, color them and live with them throughout their life. However, there are several others reasons why people end up having sparse eyebrows, and we list some of them below.
- Lack of proper nutrition can result in levels of certain minerals and vitamins such as vitamin C, B, B7, B12 and omega fatty acids decreasing and this can cause hair loss on brows.
- Autoimmune disorders such as Psoriasis and diseases such as hypothyroidism can also result in hair loss.
- Excess stress over a prolonged period or scarring after accidents can lead to eyebrow hair loss.
- After pregnancy changes in hormones can result in thinning eyebrows.
- The process of aging also results in eyebrows thinning out.
- Excessive use of harsh eyebrow makeup that has chemicals and parabens can cause lush brows to start thinning.
- Frequently over plucking and tweezing your brows can result in the hair being traumatized and it can cause your eyebrows to gradually become sparse.
- Chemotherapy often results in hair loss throughout the body.
Ways to deal with sparse eyebrows
There are several ways to deal with sparse eyebrows and some of these are semi-permanent while others last for a few weeks. Among the semi-permanent options available for dealing with sparse eyebrows is microblading which involves drawing individual hairs with the aid of tattoo ink.
Microblading if not touched up tends to fade almost completely in about three years. People who do not want microblading often opt for eyebrow extensions or eyebrow wigs, that once glued on remain for several weeks. Finally using eyebrow powder and pencil is extremely popular, as they allow you to change the shape and color of brows within minutes.
How to apply eyebrow powder and make sparse brows appear fuller
Get your eyebrows shaped by a professional
Getting your brows threaded or tweezed by a professional is ideal, as they will not pluck out too much of your hair. Once a professional has shaped your brows you can use a tweezer to remove stray hairs daily or once a week.
Ensure you have the right shade of eyebrow powder
Pick one or two brow powders that complement your hair color or skin tone. By getting the best eyebrow powder for blondes or the best eyebrow powder for silver hair you can ensure that that your brows appear natural.
Decide on the shape of your brow before using an eyebrow powder
- Place a long pencil or a stem of a brush against the side of your nose vertically until it touches your eyebrow, and then mark this position as the start.
- Then change the angle of the pencil to 45 degrees and position it so that it is touching the edge of your nostril, then mark the tail where the pencil meets your brow.
- Place the pencil against your nostril and then ensure it passes through the outer edge of the iris. Then mark the position to show where the arch starts.
Use a brow primer
Apply a brow primer with wax over the area where you plan to draw your brows. The brow primer will allow for eyebrow pencil strokes and eyebrow powder to adhere to your skin and hair.
Use an eyebrow pencil to fill in your brows
With the aid of eyebrow pencil you can draw individual hairs to extend the tail or fill in sparse areas. Using a pencil you can also improve the arch of the brow and provide it with more definition.
Apply one or two shades of eyebrow powder
- Using an angled tip brush and eyebrow powders, draw a line on the top of each brow. The line should follow the positions that you marked for the start, arch, and tail. Add powder to the brush and draw a thinner line at the bottom of each brow.
- With the aid of the brush and powder, you can then fill in the area between the lines you have drawn. If you are using two eyebrow powders ensure they are blended well and sparse areas on your brows are covered.
Brush a spoolie through your brows
Brushing your brows with a spoolie will allow the powder to spread evenly over your skin and hair. Also the upward strokes of the spoolie will ensure your brows are perfectly styled and harsh strokes of the pencil are softened.
Apply an eyebrow gel
If you have a clear eyebrow gel you can use it as a finisher after applying eyebrow powder. A gel will keep your brows perfectly styled all day and prevent powder from flaking. In case you are using a tinted eyebrow gel infused with fibers your brows will instantly volumize and appear thicker.
As natural brow gels are often infused with Pro vitamin B5 every application will nourish your eyebrows and encourage healthy hair growth.
Use a highlighter and concealer
Making use of a 2-in-1 brow definer that contains a highlighter and concealer you can draw attention to your thicker eyebrows. With the concealer part of the definer you can hide blemishes around your brows and dark circles under your eyes.
Using the highlighter you can draw a line under your brows and get an instant eye lift. This quick eye lift will make you look younger and your eyes will appear bigger.
Don’t forget to nourish your brows
Covering up sparse areas on your eyebrows with eyebrow powders is the quick and effortless way to get fuller brows. Additionally, you need to provide nourishment to your eyebrows daily.
By using a Nourishing Eyebrow Oil infused with vitamins and essential oils you can boost the health of your eyebrows. Nourishing oil will importantly encourage hair regrowth in sparse areas and you get thicker brows.
Savarnas Mantra® creates a range of popular eyebrow powders in shades that are perfect for those with blonde, red, brunette, gray, and black hair. These long-wearing powders are mineral oil-free and provide eyebrows with a natural finish. Using Savarnas Mantra® eyebrow powders you can create a solution for sparse eyebrows within minutes.