We all love to decorate our homes, furniture and rooms; some more than others. Cushion covers are very popular furniture items that can be found in many homes across the world. They come in many sizes and styles which make them a great way to change the appearance of furniture without spending too much money.
In this article we will explore 5 creative ways you can up cycle your cushion cover into something amazing!
The best part is that everyone has access to these materials so you can put your project into action immediately!
From Cat Face to Cloud Shape –
- This is a simple idea for those who have a lot of old pillow cases lying around their house. If not, you can use fabric from other clothes or even buy fabric from the shops. Take the cover off your cushion and carefully sew the face around the edges of it. You can use any image you like however, for this example we will be using an image of a cat
- Here is another simple idea which turns something flat into something with depth (literally). All you need to do is find some thick card board that’s about 5mm thick or more; then cut it into whatever shape you desire, glue some felt or fabric onto one side and attach your cushion cover to it – This is an interesting idea for those looking for furniture give their furniture a unique design. While searching online, furniture with LED lights are becoming very popular so why not try this out? Cut small holes in your old cushion covers and feed your LED strip through it, then attach the lights to furniture and to-do!
- Here is yet another interesting idea that gives furniture a fun look. Cut out thin pieces of timber or wood which will act as legs; then apply glue to them (some people use nails instead). Make sure they are thin enough so you can fit your cushion cover between them! Once attached, place your new creation where ever you like – It’s really up to you what you do with it next! This is great for those looking for furniture with thin lines or wanting something unique in their home.
- This idea is probably one of the simplest ways to up cycle your old cushion covers into something amazing. All you need to do this find some thin rope and sew it through the cushion cover, then attach your furniture to wherever you like. When finished it should look like a long pillow with rope around it – this furniture is great for those who have furniture with not much detail as this gives more detail and creates an illusion of something different.
- Finally, we have another idea where all you need is give some foam a nice touch by up cycling your old cushion covers! All you need to do is cut out a piece of foam that’s about 5-8mm thick, glue some felt or fabric onto one side and attach your cushion on top of it – This furniture idea is great for those looking for furniture that has a lot of texture and touches as these cushion covers can be changed whenever desired.
Why do you need card board that’s more than 5mm thick?
A: Card board that is less than 5mm will not be sturdy enough to hold the furniture cover. If not it may fall down, break or damage furniture.
What can I use if I don’t have felt or fabric?
A: You can use anything you like instead of this however for this example, we are using felt and fabric because they are easy to cut and glue!
How long does it take to make furniture using this tutorial?
A: It really depends on how much furniture you want to make but each piece usually takes around an hour. If making multiple pieces, time will vary depending on your skill level. However, keep in mind that furniture making is a slow process so it will take time.
How do I attach furniture to my home?
A: That’s entirely up to you! There are many ways to attaching furniture but most people use nails or screws depending on the furniture you are using. If you are uncomfortable with this, feel free to ask someone who knows how to do it for help or look up tutorials online – It may come in handy later down the track!
Well, there you have it! 5 simple yet effective ideas on how to make your furniture stand out from the rest… Plus they’re all really fun and easy to make which makes them even better!